[Samba] Problems accessing files with (lib)smbclient

Malte S. Stretz msquadrat.nospamplease at gmx.net
Sat May 25 09:51:02 GMT 2002

On Tuesday 21 May 2002 01:33 CET I wrote:
>[...]
> Has anybody an idea, why I can't get any files while it's no problem at
> all to list the directories (permissions are correct)?

Nobody? Ok, meanwhile I had access to server logs and here's some more data:
As soon as I do the get, in the NT system event log the following entry is
added (translated from German):

| User:        ---
| Computer:    NTSERVER
| Event-ID:    2006
| Source:      Srv
| Type:        Error
| Category:    ---
|
|   The Server service received an incorrectly formatted request from
|   \\PAUL.
|   ("Der Server-Dienst hat eine falsch formatierte Anforderung von \\PAUL
|   empfangen.")
| Data:
|   0000: 00 00 34 00 02 00 7c 00
|   0008: 00 00 00 00 d6 07 00 c0
|   0010: 00 00 00 00 01 20 98 c0
|   0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
|   0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
|   0028: 53 15 00 00 ff 53 4d 42
|   0030: 2e 00 00 00 00 08 01 00
|   0038: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
|   0040: 00 00 00 00 00 08 5a 56
|   0048: 00 08 01 00 0c ff 00 00
|   0050: 00 00 08 00 00 00 00 00
|   0058: 10 00 10 00

So, any ideas now? _Anything_ might be useful. Maybe somebody from the team?
This almost looks like a bug. I also did some further searching on the
error message and found this [1] and that [2] post, both from more a year
ago which got no reply, too. Something like this is mentioned in the
Changelog of the SP3 [3]. But the server I'm trying to access got SP6 so
this should be fixed.

Malte

[1]http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba/2001-April/056625.html
[2]http://samba.cadcamlab.org/lists/samba/Jul2001/msg00097.html