[Samba] Really high load average. Config problem?

Nick Vahalik nick at nsanity.com
Fri May 24 22:22:02 GMT 2002

helo

I am running samba on an 800 Duron / 640MB PC2100 DDR Ram / 40 GB IBM Deskstar with slackware 8 / 2.2.17 Optimized for Duron.

Whenever I copy files to the server, my load average gets to be about 6.0-8.0!  On the 700 Duron we have at the office where I work, (same specs except it has 768MB of SDRAM and a RAID Array).  Would the reason my box runs so slow be because its swap drive and the main drive are on the same drive?

I've tried tweaking the config, but nothing seems to make my load average drop to an acceptable level.

Nick