[Samba] Password Length Conundrum

Carl Vincent c.a.vincent at ncl.ac.uk
Fri May 24 02:37:03 GMT 2002

I've jsut installed Samba-2.2.4, from source on a Solaris 2.6 box.
I'm looking to upgrade from some 2.0.x versions I'm running.

I've createed a password entry using smbpasswd -a and added my password.
My password has 9 characters in it. Using smbclient on the Solaris box, I
can access the share, but I can't from Win95 or Win2000 clients
(encryption is on).
If I try to access using only the first 8 characters from my password
(without changing the password on the server) it works on all three
platforms.

I then copied the password hashes (just the two hashes, not the whole old
format line)from my 2.0.3 server password file, and it works properly on
all platforms with the 9 character password.

I haven't got any of the password synchronisation stuff turned on, just a
basic test setup (conf file below).

I've tried increasing the values of PASSWORD_LENGTH in
source/include/includes.h
and recompiling, but it hasn't helped. There appears to be something
truncating my password before the hashes are created in the smbpasswd
file.

Does anyone who knows the source better than me know how to patch this
out?

Cheers

Carl

% more ../lib/smb.conf
# Samba config file.

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = FRUIT
        netbios name = APPLE
        domain master = no
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        lmannounce = no
        local master = no
        syslog only = yes
        log level = 0
        invalid users = root
#        password level = 10

[TEST]
        comment = Test share service points at /tmp
        path = /tmp

      Carl Vincent              http://www.netskills.ac.uk/ (URL)
      Software, Systems and Webmaster        0191 222 5003 (voice)
      NETSKILLS - Quality Internet Training  0191 222 5001  (fax)
  PGP fingerprint: 5522 ADAF F6BF 897A 1529  B035 D4F6 AE5F B6EF C289