[Samba] Samba-Docu. suggestion

Martin Thomas mthomas at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Thu May 23 14:59:01 GMT 2002

Suggestion for an addition to the Samba-Documentation:

Some people (10?) mailed me about a message I've sent to
the list back in the 2.2.1 days. My problems where
not caused by Samba but it seems that profile-handling
for W2k clients with a samba server reveals network
problems (hardware or router/switch settings) which
are never noticed with *nix alone (reports came from
Linux, HPUX and AIX users). I suggested to check
the network and at least 6 people found broken
NICs, Switches or wrong router configurations.
http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba-technical/2001-July/030366.html

Suggestion: "If you see error messages like
'The specified network name is no longer available' or 'error during transfer
of a memory page' check your network-hardware and settings"

I don't know the right translations, in german the messages are:
"Der Netzwerkname is nicht laenger verfuegbar" and
"Fehler beim Einlagern einer Speicherseite"

- Martin