[Samba] Strange Problem with Word 97 saving to samba share

Jamie Heckford jamie at tridentmicrosystems.co.uk
Thu May 23 08:28:05 GMT 2002

Hi,

When I save a document to a network share (this only happens in word 97) it
works fine.
However, when I reopen that document, modify it and click save I get the
error message:

"Word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error"

I check and the original document has been deleted and all that is left is a
~WRLXXXX.tmp file.

Does anyone know what the cause of this may be?

The individual shares are set up as:

[jamie$]
         comment = Jamie Heckford
         path = /data1-home/jamie
         valid users = jamie, @admin
         force user = root
         writeable = yes
         force create mode = 0777

And the directory permissions for /data1-home/jamie are:

drwxrwxrwx   9 root  micro     1024 May 23 15:20 jamie/

The reason this is being forced as root is /data1-home is an NFS mounted
share, which will only
allow the root user to read/write to it.

Any help people can give will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

--
Jamie Heckford
Network Manager

***********

This e-mail message contains confidential information for
the above addressee only. Any opinion or views contained
in this e-mail message are those of the sender and do not
necessarily represent those of the Company. Unless otherwise
stated this e-mail message is not intended to be contractually
binding.  E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be
secure or error-free and the sender therefore does not accept
liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this
message.

Trident Microsystems Ltd Group of Companies
Perrywood Business Park, Honeycrock Lane, Salfords, Redhill,
Surrey, RH1 5JQ

Tel:  (44) (0) 1737 780790   Fax:  (44) (0) 1737 771908

Registered office:  Abacus House, Bone Lane, Newbury,
Berkshire, RG14 5SF