[Samba] Having Problems with Interface Settings

Chilcott, Sandy sandy.chilcott at intel.com
Wed May 22 21:55:02 GMT 2002

All,

I have setup a SAMBA(2.2.2) server at my site, and have been using it on a
Solaris 2.6 server for ~ 9 months.  I am now trying to install this
technology at another site on a Solaris 8 machine.  The difference between
the 2 sites is that the new site has their class 'C' network broke into
different subnets.  I do not have any experience with this type of network
setup, and think this is causing my problem.

My Problem:
If I run an "smbclient -L NEW_SERVER" command, sometimes it works, and
sometimes it doesn't.  I don't think there is anything wrong with the
smb.conf file, or it would never be successful.  I tried setting the
interfaces = x.x.x.x/255.255.255.128, but the smbclient command is still
only successful some of the time.

I talked to the network folks many times, and one of the things they said
was that the router interface netmask was set to 255.255.255.192??

Thanks for your time,
Sandy