[Samba] samba cross subnet

Jason Stewart jstewart at rtl.org
Wed May 22 12:24:03 GMT 2002

Netbios works by intercepting messages on the broadcast address on the
network segment (I hope that I explained that OK!). In general, broadcast
traffic does not cross routers.

Read Browsing.txt for more information (it comes with the samba source
distribution).  One solution would be to set up a WINS server to resolve
the queries for you.

Cheers,
Jason

At 12:43 AM 5/23/2002 -0400, Mark Matrafajlo wrote:
>I have setup a fileserver (172.0.0.74) in the dmz and I would like the
>internal network to be able to view it,  (I also have a samba server on
>the LAN)  so I enabled wins made the appropriate changes to my dhcpd.conf
>file.  I cannot not see the server in my network neighborhood.  Is there
>something I'm forgetting ?
>thx
>Mark

Jason Stewart
Systems Administrator/Programmer
Right to Life of Michigan
Tel: (616)532-2300
Fax: (616)532-3461

To find out where Michigan Gubernatorial Candidate Jennifer Granholm really
stands, please visit http://www.granholmgarble.com/