[Samba] smbclient, bug?

Pierre Belanger pbelang1 at oss.cantel.rogers.com
Wed May 22 07:48:02 GMT 2002

Hi,

Is this a bug?

By mistake, I was trying to connect to a samba server using
smbclient... but the samba server did not allow my client to
connect to the server, because of a "hosts allow" restriction.

I can understand smbclient reporting the first error:

  session request to ALKONOST failed (Not listening for calling name)

but, what is this "second" error,

  session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Not listening for calling name)

Where is this " *SMBSERVER " coming from ??? Something I can't
explain...

Here's the output with debug info.

> ./smbclient -L \\alkonost
INFO: Debug class all level = 10   (pid 394 from pid 394)
added interface ip=10.2.101.74 bcast=10.2.101.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
session request to ALKONOST failed (Not listening for calling name)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Not listening for calling name)

Thank you,
Pierre B.