[Samba] samba as PDC with w2k clients

Neil Muller neil at neologix.net
Wed May 22 04:00:03 GMT 2002

The machine trust account has to be created for both linux and samba
without a password or home directory and will have a null shell. Doing
it manually as root use (note: dollar signs ($) are important - samba
uses the $ sign to identify that it is a machine trust account)...

root# /usr/sbin/useradd -g 100 -d /dev/null -c "machine nickname" -s
/bin/false machine_name$
root# passwd -l machine_name$
root# smbpasswd -a -m machine_name

Also make root a samba user and set your  "domain admin group = root".
When you add the w2k machine to the samba domain use root and your samba
root password as the user account to authorise joining the domain.

Instead of manually adding the machine trust account as above you should
be able to have samba create them for you (more secure than manual
version above) by adding the following to your smb.conf global section...

add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /dev/false -M %u

Neil