[Samba] Killing smb-connection

Jan Fenner jfenner at sino.de
Wed May 22 03:02:17 GMT 2002

Hi everybody,

i use following software:

Linux version 2.4.7-10 (bhcompile at stripples.devel.redhat.com) (gcc
version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-98)) #1 Thu Sep 6
17:27:27 EDT 2001

# smbd -V
Version 2.2.1a

Imagine a user (user x) opened a file stored on the samba server like
"blah.xls" (excel 2k) so the file is locked by the smbd. Another user
wants to edit this file so we want to kick user x.
Before we updated to 2.2.1a we just did:
[root at x root]# smbstatus
Samba version 2.2.1a
Locked files:
Pid    DenyMode   R/W        Oplock           Name
1366   DENY_WRITE RDONLY     NONE
/data/excel-files/blah.xls   Wed May 22 10:28:18 2002

kill -9 1366

So the process was killed and the file was free to open.
Since we use 2.2.1a something strange happens, we kill the pid but in
"smbstatus" the pid is still in use and the file is still locked.
But actually the pid IS killed, it disapears in "ps ax" and another
kill -9 pid recieves an error (unkown pid).

Only way to fix is to close excel manually on User x's client or
shutting down the complete client. Sometimes even that dont work and
we have to reboot the samba-server to free the file.

Anyone know how to fix this behavoir or how to "kick" a user from a
file?

thanks for you comments!

.jan

--