[Samba] Macintosh + Samba integration

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Tue May 21 18:17:01 GMT 2002

On Wed, 22 May 2002, David Nillesen wrote:

> I have been searching through the docs and on the web to no avail.
>
> I work at a university and we are moving our fileservers to new
> hardware.
>
> The problem is, nothing seems to integrate Mac's and Win box's happily.
> We have a large user base using samba already, but when mac's pick up
> the same share via CAP, CAP creates files to deal with the dual 'stream'
> nature of files from a macintosh.
>
> Samba doesnt synchronise those files understandably, but it throws the
> macintosh's horribly out of synch with the filesystem. They cant see
> some files, they cant delete or edit others.
>
> I've noticed netatalk uses seperate files as well to keep track of all
> the extra information as well, but I cannot find any mention in samba of
> synchronising netatalk state files either.

Older versions of samba had a --with-netatalk configure option for this
kind of thing.

The functionality was lost with the move to a VFS layer, but a module was
recently written by 'cat' (from sam-solutions, I don't have his e-mail
handy).  I suggest you search the samba-technical archives and try out
the module.

(If you report success, I'll look to land it in the 'examples' dir in HEAD
dosesn't get lost).

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org