[Samba] smbmount question

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue May 21 13:16:02 GMT 2002

On Tue, 21 May 2002 marion.haines at countygovt.brevard.fl.us wrote:

> It's the NT server that I have to reboot so it will know the IP of the
> WINS server.

Actually, I don't think you need proper wins support for this to work (you
may want it for other reasons).

Using a command like this:
smbmount //netbiosname/sharename /mntpoint -o ip=1.2.3.4

Will always do:
1. connect to the server with ip number 1.2.3.4
2. tell the server at that ip that the server the client thinks it is
   connecting to is 'netbiosname' (this is the "called name" in the error
   message).

If the server still won't accept you, then changing the wins info won't
help. When you give an ip option to smbmount it doesn't try to look up the
value for netbiosname.

/Urban