[Samba] smb_newconn error

Hall, Leam Leam.Hall at dowjones.com
Tue May 21 04:27:02 GMT 2002

> On Mon, 20 May 2002, Hall, Leam wrote:
>
> > Okay, newbie alert.
> >
> > We're having a problem with a linux (2.2.20 smp) webserver (apache) that
is
> > a samba 2.0.7-4) client. Oddly, both client and server are Linux. (I
didn't
> > set them up)
>
> Switching to NFS may be a good idea.

One of my first responses, too.

> > There are 2 webservers that in theory are set up exactly the same. When
> > certain one of them goes live, it generates an error:
> >
> > 	smb_newconn failed to allocate new packet buffer max xmit 65535
>
> smbfs needs to allocate a buffer that is as large as smbmount negotiated
> that the maximum transfer size should be. smbmount uses the samba default
> of 65535.
>
> Try reducing this to one page using this setting in smb.conf:
> 	max xmit = 4096
>
> (At least I think smbmount uses smb.conf for this value, if you get the
>  same value in the error message then smbmount needs some fixing)

Didn't see the max xmit setting in smb.conf. Do I need to add it?

> > The server then soon fork bombs and the machine has to be rebooted to
regain
> > control. If the server is *not* live, but Apache stressed, no problems
> > occur.
>
> Do you get any other kernel error messages?

None that I could find.

> What is the difference between "live" and not-live?

"live" means open to outside http requests.

Unfortunately, this has been a lower priority problem for us, so the logs
(and my memory) are old and fading. I may need to rcreate the problem just
to catch the errors and be able to look at them fresh.

ciao!

leam