[Samba] Samba encrypt passwd

chimin yen ychimin2000 at yahoo.com
Mon May 20 23:11:02 GMT 2002

Hi,

    I have samba installed on my Linux system (Red Hat
7.2), and
Windows 98 on another PC as a Samba client. Samba
works great
if PlainTextPassword is enabled. However, if
PlainTextPassword is
disabled on Windows client, connection to the Samba
shares no
longer accepted.

    I believe I've done everything in order to make
encrypt passwd working:

    * I converted /etc/passwd to /etc/samba/smbpasswd
using
      mksmbpasswd.sh script.

               cat /etc/passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh
>smbpasswd

       This resulted in a new smbpasswd file:

               -rw-------    1 root     root    4202
May 21 12:06 smbpasswd

        I feel a little uncomfortable about the file
permission, therefore
        I change the mode to 0644 (-rw-r--r--).

    * Here is my /etc/samba/smb.conf file

       [global]
             workgroup = MYGROUP
             security = USER
             log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
             lock dir = /var/lock/samba
             encrypt passwords = Yes
             smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

        [homes]
              comment = Home Directory
              read only = No
              create mask = 0750
              browseable = No

         [tmp]
              comment = Temporary file space
              path = /tmp
              read only = No

Note that the smb.conf file worked in the
PlainTextPasswd mode before
the two parameters were added:

             encrypt passwords = Yes
             smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

       * I restarted Samba daemon

             /etc/init.d/smb restart

       * I followed the test steps as outlined in
diagnosis.txt by  Andrew Tridgell

But every attempt to connect to the smb server got
denied:

[root at star samba]# smbclient -L star
added interface ip=192.168.1.1 bcast=192.168.1.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password
- name/password pair in a
Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)
[root at star samba]#

 The following transcript may also be of help in
finding what's wrong.

[root at star samba]# smbclient -L star -N
added interface ip=192.168.1.1 bcast=192.168.1.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[MYGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.1a]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        tmp            Disk      Temporary file space
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba
2.2.1a)
        ADMIN$      Disk      IPC Service (Samba
2.2.1a)

        Server               Comment
        STAR                 Samba 2.2.1a

        Workgroup            Master
        MYGROUP              STAR
[root at star samba]#

I suspect my Samba binary doesn't acctually support
encrypt passwd, but how can I tell if it is or not?

Thanks in advance.

Chimin Yen