[Samba] smbclient

Mark Petryk mark at barkercpa.com
Mon May 20 14:12:02 GMT 2002

This is going to sound like a rediculously dumb question, but I have just
finished reloaing RedHat 7.2 (from 7.1), a clean install, and samba appears
to be running, but I cannot log into my shares.  I am rejected with a "bad
password - name/password pair..."

Now, I've been though this setup a dozen times before, I have a very garden
variety configuration, and my shared directory not only exists, but has 777
permissions.  I've added the user to both Linux and to smbpasswd, as
prescribed, but for some reason I cannot fathom, smbclient won't even access
the share.  I can 'smbclient -NL hp' and that reports that the share exists,
but when I attempt to log into the share, I'm kicked out.

Where else should I be looking?  I'm completely Stumped.