[Samba] Re: smbmount, smbumount and smbmnt

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Mon May 20 08:22:06 GMT 2002

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Abdij Bhat wrote:

> Hi,
>  Thanks Urban for all the info. It was really of use to me especially
> since i could do without smbmnt and smbumount.

You could take the code from smbmnt and put it in smbmount, but you can't
drop it completely.

>  Could you please send me the patch you have used to reduce the
> footprint of smb clients. I beleive that will really be very helpful for
> me.

I have sent it off-list.

>  Also regarding the codepages i have some more query.
> 1. Since some other components in our embedded system needs codepages,
> we have enabled the code pages in the kernel.
> 2. We have however not enables the CONFIG_SMB_NLS_DEFAULT. So smbfs
> should not be using any codepages.
> 3. I have nothing in my smb.conf for the codepages. ( IS there any way
> to disable codepage use in the smb.conf?)
> 4. However when i run my client i still get the errors i had previously
> reported.

You are confusing kernel codepages with samba codepages. They have nothing
to do with each other. The kernel codepages are used by kernel
filesystems, such as smbfs. The samba codepages are used by samba
programs, such as smbmount and your error messages are about these.

You need to build and install the samba codepages. Or if you don't want
them disable them (don't know how) or edit the samba source to not request
them.

/Urban