[Samba] Samba & Symantec Ghost

Brian Mays bmays at boscovs.com
Mon May 20 06:20:07 GMT 2002

Hello,

I saw this posting by Christopher Robert Woods.  I am having the identical
problem with Samba on Suse Linux 7.2 (OS/390).  Is there any known
workaround?

--------------------

To: Multiple recipients of list SAMBA <samba at samba.org>
Subject: Symantec Ghost and Samba
From: Christopher Robert Woods <woodsch at forum-financial.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 22:29:43 +1000
Sender: samba at samba.org

Hello all.  Trying to save the lone linux box in the organization.  Any
help would be appreciated.

Our desktop support team makes extensive use of Symantec Ghost to make
images of NT desktops for recovery purposes.  I managed to talk them into
using our lone linux server as the Ghost repository.

The way the process works is that you boot the about to be imaged machine
via a DOS boot disk, then run Ghost off of the network, and choose a drive
mapped to a share on the linux server as the destination for the ghost
image.

To any NT box, the average ghost time takes about 20 minutes.  But to the
linux/samba machine doing the above takes an hour and a half!!

I am at a loss as to what to do.  Copying a large file to the linux server
goes no slower than copying to an NT box.  However Ghost just seems to
choke when writing to the Samba box.

Attached below is our smb.conf.  Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Please help me stop the EVIL desktop group from getting Linux
excommunicated from our NT network.

FWIW, the share that they are trying to connect to is either [Images] or
[Images1].  Both of which are on different physical drives.

THANKS!!

-------------------
[global]

   workgroup = FFG