[Samba] samba option for users to have admin rights for their machine

Neil Muller neil at neologix.net
Mon May 20 03:43:02 GMT 2002

  Access rights on a w2k workstation are completely separate from access
rights within a domain; similarly users in a domain are completely
different (in MS terms) from users on a W2K workstation. If your users
are logging on to a domain then they will have user accounts within the
domain and when you look at the users on a w2k box you will see
something like \<domain>\<user name> as the fully qualified user name
(may be 2 leading slashes ie \\ or mayeb none I forget which - just
don't hang me forthis lapse :-) ). A user defined for the local machine
will have a similar fully qualified user name but the 'domain' will be
the name of the local machine.

To give a domain user administrator privileges on the local workstation
you will have to add that (fully qualified) domain user to the
administrators group on the local machine. Log on as the local machine
administrator (I'm assuming you don't have a domain user with
administrator privileges on the local machine as yet), open the control
panel and click the "Users and Passwords" icon. This will list all the
users for the local machine. Click the 'Add' button and then click the
"Browse" button. On my workstations this brings up a dialog pointing out
that you don't have acess to browse the domain and asks for the username
and password of someone who does; so enter the username and password of
the user that you used to join the workstation to your samba domain. Now
you can browse through a list of domain users and add them as users with
(Administrator) rights on the local machine by adding them to the local
machine's administrator group.

Neil

--
Neologix Pty Ltd