[Samba] Can't join Samba PDC from Win2k

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Sun May 19 15:51:02 GMT 2002

I am trying to make my Samba server act as a domain controller, but I
can't join the domain. When I go into Windows 2k and I right click the
computer, the properties button, and try to make it a part of the domain,
it asks me for a user account, and a password. I am not sure what user
account to type in here. What user account do I type in?

Below is my smb.conf file. I followed the howto from

ftp://us6.samba.org/pub/samba/docs/htmldocs/Samba-PDC-HOWTO.html

and you can see where I put the adduser in my global configuration so
a machine is added automatically.

# from linux.local (127.0.0.2)
# Date: 2002/05/18 21:55:34

# Global parameters
[global]
	netbios name = DASERVER
	workgroup = CHEDDAR
	map to guest = Bad User
	socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
	character set = ISO8859-15

	os level = 64
	preferred master = yes
	domain master = yes
	local master = yes

	security = user

	encrypt passwords = Yes

	domain logons = yes

	logon path = \\%N\profiles\%u

	logon drive = H:
	logon home = "\\%N\%U"

	logon script = logon.cmd

	printing = lprng
	veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/

	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	read only = No
	create mask = 0640