[Samba] WinBind does not work well with Rational ClearCase (bugfix atta ched :)

Stephen Jazdzewski Steve at Jazd.com
Sun May 19 02:09:02 GMT 2002

>You are accessing clearcase on UNIX right?
Yes we will be.  But not right now.  Since ClearCase will not support Unix
clients from a Windows VOB server, we started with a Linux Server even though
our first clients are all windows.

>Not through Samba.
No, we are using Samba in addition to WinBind.  I am fuzzy on why ClearCase
needs Samba in addition to it's own stuff.  I think that is how the Windows
View Server talks to the Unix VOB Server.

>You need winbindd so that Windows domain users can have a UNIX account
>and access the respoitory on the UNIX server.  Right?
Yes that is correct.

Most sites can control the primary windows group users get for any Domain.  We
can add users to a clearcase group, but can't make it the user's primary
group.  clearcase has a patch to get around it under Windows.  They use a
special environment variable.

I limited the "winbind primary group" so it would only set the primary group
if the user is actually a member of the group in the first place.  But this
can be overridden with the "winbind force primary".  The primary group value
is a RID and *not* a Unix GID.

I suspect if I use Andrew's suggestion and set g+s on the directories it may
work, and this has worked for me in the past when using NFS & NIS+.  But one
of the first questions on the pre-techsupport droid's check list is "type 'id'
and read me your default user group...".

This default group thing has *never* been a problem for me under Unix.

Once I applied the patch, clearcase started working like a charm.

-Stephen