[Samba] re: joining a w2k machine to a samba domain

Neil Muller neil at neologix.net
Sat May 18 23:48:02 GMT 2002

Because the replies to my question came direct to my email and not
through the list I thought others with the same problem might benefit if
I summarised the way in which I solved the problem of adding a w2k
workstation to a domain managed by a samba pdc.

(1) make sure your samba is up to date. I actually used samba 2.2.3a but
am about to upgrade to 2.2.4
(2) read the docs on the samba.org site, in particular the combined
howtos in pdf format
(3) set up and test your smb.conf using testparm. I actually did it in 3
stages (the final stage was based on the help I received from the email
replies to my original posting)
(4) stage 1: set up your initial smb.conf and make sure samba is working
for your W9x environment
(5) stage 2:
   (a) configure your smb.conf as per the model supplied in the combined
howtos mentioned above
   (b) create the machine trust account referred to in the docs. I did
this manually but the docs also show how this can be done by samba
itself which is the recommended approach
   (c) read the man pages for smb.conf several times and add in all the
bits that you've missed above in particular add in settings in the
global area of smb.conf for 'domain admin group = root' and 'domain
admin users = root'
(6) stage 3:
       (a) check out

http://de.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/htmldocs/samba-pdc-faq.html

http://de.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/htmldocs/samba-pdc-howto.html

   (b) make root a samba user (yeah I know I was stupid not to have
thought of this first but we can't all be perfect)

(7) login to your w2k box as administrator and add the box to your new
(NT4) domain. When prompted for a domain user with permission to add the
w2k machine enter your root userid and password. Reboot the w2k box when
prompted and login to your samba domain in the usual way.

Hope someone else finds this useful.

Neil