[Samba] WinBind does not work well with Rational ClearCase (bugfix atta ched :)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Sat May 18 08:43:02 GMT 2002

Gerald Carter wrote:

> On Wed, 15 May 2002, Jazdzewski, StephenX A wrote:
>
> > Hello Samba,
> >
> > We tried to use samba-2.2.4-1 with Rational ClearCase and had a problem
> > using WinBind.
> >
> > ClearCase requires the primary group id to be set to the clearcase users
> > group.  WinBind sets the primary group to something like
> > DOMAIN_GROUP_RID_USERS.
>
> Winbind set's the primary group to whatever is specified by the PDC.
> Why should we override it?  I think I understand what your problem is
> but I'm not convinvced that this patch should be applied to the main
> tree.

I wonder if this problem would be better solved with appropriate use of
the group sticky bit (chmod g+s) on the directory?

Other than that, we sometimes play a bit 'fast and loose' with NT4
groups, due to the way we have to reterive them.  This means that we set
the primary group to 'domain users' for 'getent' bulk requests.  I'm not
sure what we are currently doing for other lookups.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net