[Samba] Separated Win2k and XP profiles anybody ?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Sat May 18 08:31:02 GMT 2002

Ulrich Kohlhase wrote:

> I am reposting this issue since my last mail probably got lost in Samba
> mailing lists heavy traffic:
> At work (several Win2k and XP clients, Samba PDC, Linux Router) we would
> like to separate Win2k and XP profiles, since XP obviously uses
> different registry settings and users report lost desktop settings, etc.
>
> The first approach was to use variable substitution:
>
> [profile]
>         path = /profile/%a
>         read only = No
>         guest ok = No
>         nt acl support = no
>
> Both XP and Win2k returned "Win2k" and copied the server based profile
> to /profile/Win2k, which implies that XP and Win2k clients cannot be
> separated by variable substitution (?). Is separation of profiles for
> these OSs at all possible ?

It depends if they specify different negprot values.  The two are very
similar, and I doubt
that they do.

Read the manpage and the code in smbd/negprot.c.  See if you can pick a
difference in the
way it does the negprot.  If you can, then adding the code should be
simple, otherwise we have the simple problem that WinXP is simply Win2k
4.1.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org