[Samba] [BUG] Problem with Case Sensitivity for Usernames between a Samba PDC & Windows

Ol Dirty oldirtychinaman at lycos.com
Fri May 17 18:50:51 GMT 2002

- Compiled Samba version 2.2.4
- Slackware Linux, Kernel 2.4.17
- Windows 2000 Professional, SP2

Here's what I know:

You have username MyNetworkUsername (exactly with case) in /etc/samba/smbpasswd and /etc/passwd.

You have Samba running as a PDC, with unix password sync enabled. Password Sync options at default for the most part (passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u).

In W2K, you <ctrl-alt-tab> and change the password.  You enter in the correct tokens, with the username 'MyNetworkUsername', and the password sync will fail.

Samba debug logs show that:

[2002/05/17 18:24:00, 0] smbd/chgpasswd.c:dochild(128)
  dochild: user name mynetworkusername doesn't exist in the UNIX password database.

However, when password sync is disabled, the password change WILL be successful.

I figure %u drops case and forces lowercase, passwd is case sensitive and smbpasswd is not perhaps ?  Not sure if its intentional or not (or a bug) but it is a problem.

Sorry if this is the wrong list, I could not find a samba-bugs mlist.

Any responses please direct to oldirtychinaman at lycos.com, I am not on the list.

Thank you