[Samba] WinY2k Access Denied on Printing

Adam Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Fri May 17 12:28:02 GMT 2002

>>1. UNIX printing works flawlessly (this box is an lpd server for lots of
>>unix clients).
>>2. Samba printing from both Win9x and WinY2k worked flawlessly under
>>2.2.1a, for a long time.
>>3. Printing does work, but only for awhile. And ONLY WinY2k clients are
>>effected, Win9x clients continue to print just fine
>Hi Adam, I had a similar problem in 2.2.3a version.
>Try to set these two things:
>disable spoolss = no
>use client driver = yes
>Look to "use client driver" explanation in the smb.conf manpage.

Does this mean that every print driver must be installed on every machine
(for every user)?

I see this in the man page -
This  parameter MUST not be able enabled on a print share which has valid
print driver installed on the Samba server

I understand (pretty much) what "disable spoolss" and "use client driver"
does but what is the behaviour of the no/yes configuration.  It seems that
"use client driver=yes" implies "disable spoolss=no"