[Samba] $TMP and $TEMP problems from w2k

Damian Gerow damian at sentex.net
Fri May 17 11:00:03 GMT 2002

I've got a really funky error happening when installing new programs.  I'm
running a CVS version, taken about a week before 2.2.4 came out, built into
a .deb package (speaking of which, is the package maintaner on the
list?  I've been waiting for the 2.2.4 package to come out...).

Anyhow, my 'home' directory on my w2k station is mapped to my home
directory on our file server (let's call him 'monk').  I've set my $TMP and
$TEMP variables to be %HOME%tmp, which is a valid directory on monk
(/home/damian/tmp).  Whenever I go to install a new program, the WISE
installation wizard will start, then I'll get an error like this:

The file 'Q:\tmp\GLFD30.tmp' could not be opened.  Please check to make
sure that your disk is not full and that you have access to the destination
directory.  Access is denied.

Once I click 'OK', I get this error message:

The application or DLL Q:\tmp\GLFD30.tmp is not a valid Windows
image.  Please check this against your installation diskette.

Acknowledging that one will quit the wizard.  If I check q:\tmp, the file
is there, but is 0 bytes in size.  There were two other smaller files
created as well, with differing numbers.  The disk is not full (~30GB free,
no quotas), and I've even set perms on ~/tmp to be 777.

Anyone seen this before?  Know what's going on?  I took a look at the
logfiles, but didn't see anything particularly helpful -- a bunch of
'damian (opened|closed) file tmp/<filename> (numopen=<number>)' messages.

The installation works if I delete my $TMP and $TEMP variables, and use the
system default.