[Samba] Win2k Printing Problems

JUSTIN GERRY JGERRY at butchers.com
Fri May 17 09:49:01 GMT 2002

I want to be able to use the Samba box as a print server. I just don't
understand why I need to go through all of these steps to make it work.

I don't want to use TCP/IP printing on the W2k client, I would love to
be able to click and install a printer through the samba box without all
this mess. I eventually want to be able to do the automatic print driver
install as well, but I still can't get the client machines, Win2k or NT
to add a printer that actually works because of a missing port section.

Based on your comments, if I remove those sections I won't have any
printers listed on the samba box right?

If anyone has been able to add printers to their Win2k machine and
actually get them to work properly let me know how you did it. Maybe I
am over complicating things. Email me a how to or if you have configs to
look at just email me directly.

Thanks,
Justin

>>> Chris Smith <chris at realcomputerguy.com> 05/17 10:52 AM >>>
If you've installed TCP/IP printing on the W2k client and setting up
an
LPR port why bother using Samba for the printing at all?

If you skip these steps: 1a,1b,2a & 2b(printer),2a & 2b(global), 3h
and
everything after it you should be able to print just fine.

On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 15:26, JUSTIN GERRY wrote:
> Here is my now messy printer install to get Win2k SP2 boxes to work
properly. If anyone has anything to add to this let me know.

> I really wish it was possible to get Samba to report some sort of
dummy printer port for Win2k so it would add a section under "Monitors".
The share name with the slashes seem to give Win2k a hard time, as it
can not add a print monitor anywhere in the registry.

> And I still have not even looked into getting the print driver to
automatically install.

> Thanks,
> Justin
>
> ******Start of How to***********
> How to Setup Samba and LPR to print to HP Jetdirect boxes from a
Win2k machine.

> *I am assuming you already have samba up and running*
>
> I will be adding a printer I call *HPIII_IT_CUBE*, which is an HP
Laserjet 3 printer to with a Jetdirect box attached to it. FYI, my samba
server is called "samba".

> 		1)	On the linux box:
> 		a)	create a dir for samba to spool to. Usually its
/var/spool/samba
> 		b)	chmod 01777 /var/spool/samba
> c)	chown root.daemon /var/spool/samba
> 		d)	create a spool dir in /var/spool/lpd with the
name of the printer (my case its HPIII_IT_CUBE)
> 		e)	chown lp.lp /var/spool/lpd/HPIII_IT_CUBE
> f)	Edit printcap file
> 	In the printcap file make sure that each printer has entries
modeled after this example:

> HPIII_IT_CUBE:\
>         :rm=172.30.12.25:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/HPIII_IT_CUBE:\
>         :rp=raw:
>
> 		g)	Restart LPR (service lpd restart), it should
come up clean with no errors
> 		h)	Run testprns to see if you get an ok
>
> 		2)	In the smb.conf under printers section:
>
> Change or add the following under the [printer] section
> 		a)	path=/var/spool/samba
> 		b)	use client driver=yes
>
> Change or add the following under the [global] section
> 		a)	printcap name =/etc/printcap
> 		b)	load printers = yes
>
> 		3)	On the Win2k box:
> 		a)	Browse to file server and double click on the
printer
> 		b)	It should ask you for a driver file, go through
the usual APW motions (adding HPIII driver etc..)
> c)	Go back to APW, install a *Local Printer*
> d)	In Select the Printer Port go to *create a new port*
> e)	Select *LPR Port*
> f)	In *Name or address of server providing lpd* put the name of
your samba server (my case its samba)
> g)	In *Name of printer or print queue on that server* put the name
from your printcap file of the printer you just added (my case it is
HP_III_IT_CUBE)
> h)	Load regedit or regedit32 (see next messy section)
> REGEDIT:
>
> We will be working in:
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\
>
> 		1)	You should now see an entry under the LPR Port
under the Monitor tab like this:

	[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\LPR
Port\Ports\samba:hpiii_it_cube]
> "Server Name"="Samba"
> "Printer Name"="hpiii_it_cube"
> "OldSunCompatibility"=dword:00000000
> "HpUxCompatibility"=dword:00000000
> "EnableBannerPage"=dword:00000000
>
> 		2)	Now go to the tab:

	[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\,,samba,hp_iii_it_cube]
> 		a)	Find the key called *Port*, it should say
*Port=\\samba\hpiii_it_cube*
> 	b)    Change the *Port* tab to: *Port=samba:hpiii_it_cube* which
will then match the pointer in the monitor tab that we set up in Step 1

the properties.
> a) Click on Ports tab
> b) You should see a checkmark next to a lpr port with a
servername/printer like we see from step 1

'Nix MS - Just Say .NyET