[Samba] Can I kill... 'add user script' behaviour in adding users during logon?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Fri May 17 06:26:31 GMT 2002

The behavior of the 'add user script' smb.conf option is rather weird:

It is documented as an option to the login parts of the protocol, and
used to add users dynamically during the logon process, if they don't
exist locally.

However, it is also used in the SAMR code when an admin explicitly
creates a user.  This is
actually the more natural use for the parameter, but it is unnaturally
shared between the
two areas.

This 'dual use' causes problems - unexpected users being created etc.

However, this is nothing compared to its evil twin:

'delete user script' runs when a user attempts to log in, but the PDC
says that they don't exist.  Firstly:  does this really happen?  If a
user has to attempt to log in to trigger it, what exactly is the
point... This also has rather nasty consequences, when the user does not
exist on the PDC (normal local user etc), the script can fire.  If the
admin is not careful this can be quite nasty.  While this is documented,
it is still nasty.

Whats more, all the PDC documentation refers to these options for their
SAMR use, so as to
create machine accounts on demand...

Now both of these options are *too* easy to misconfigure, and they
really don't fit well into the HEAD authenticiaon setup anyway.

Could these be killed in the auth context?  This would leave them as
SAMR commands, for when
users are really added to the system.

If we still need the capability to add users to the system on a dynamic
basis (this is really the job of winbind, but I digress) could we at
least use a different option?    Like 'dynamic login user add script'?
Or keep these but rename the SAMR meanings?

What do you think?

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org