[Samba] Name Resolution, Pinging

Konkol, Josh JKonkol at guidemail.com
Fri May 17 04:55:01 GMT 2002

He said he is using a M$ WINS server not the samba box.  In the smb.conf doc
it says the dns proxy setting is only used when the samba server is acting
as a WINS server.  It also says it is set to yes by default anyway.

I think the simplist solutions would be to add DNS to the existing WINS
Server and configure it to do lookups in WINS, then set the DNS Server for
the Linux box to it's IP Address.  Samba has nothing to do with it.

Josh Konkol, CNE MCSE
Senior Network Analyst
GuideOne Insurance
Mail Stop AB-1