[Samba] Name Resolution, Pinging

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Thu May 16 14:42:03 GMT 2002

You might experiment with nmblookup to see if it will provide you with what
you want.
If you can get the ip's on your linux box with nmblookup netbiosname, you
could write a little script to ping for you. Something like this:
#!/bin/bash
a=`nmblookup $1 | sed -n s/"Got a positive name query response from //p" | \
cut -d" " -f1`
ping $a
You might find it easy to add all those hosts to your /etc/hosts file with:
nmblookup -T "*"
and a little editing with vi or sed.
YMMV.
Joel