[Samba] Name Resolution, Pinging

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Thu May 16 10:06:02 GMT 2002

Look at the libnss_wins.so module and add wins to your
/etc/nsswitch file.

Adam Cormany wrote:

> I am running redhat 7.3 with Samba 2.2.4. I was
> wondering if there was a way to use Samba to resolve
> my IPs instead of having to add all the entries to my
> /etc/hosts file? For instance, I would like to be able
> to do `ping acormany` instead of `ping <IP Address>`.
> We are currently using WINS on a Windows box to
> resolve the IPs. As of right now, I can `ping
> acormany` on a Windows system, but not on my Redhat
> 7.3. Can this be resolved through Samba? If so, could
> someone point me in the right direction?
>
> Thanks
> Adam Cormany

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177