[Samba] rh7.3/samba as PDC

Wes James WesJ at cnr.usu.edu
Thu May 16 07:26:03 GMT 2002

I have been working with samba trying to get PDC functionality out of it.  I

tried first - version 3 from samba.org then I tried the samba that comes
with
rh7.3 and the last version I have been trying to get to work is the latest
samba-tng.

It has been straight forward getting file sharing to work, but the PDC part
just won't work.  I can manaully create a machine account on the linux box
in the passwd and smbpasswd as machine$.  I can get on the nt4.0 box and
join the domain.  When I reboot after joining the domain I try to log in but
I get a message that I it can't find the domain server.  Anyone have a
working smb.conf file for domains?

Here is my current smb.conf

[global]
	workgroup = mygroup
	netbios name = myname
        server string = samba %v
        interfaces = lo eth0
        bind interfaces only = yes
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = yes

        domain master = yes
        domain logons = yes
        local master = yes
        prefered master = yes

   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

   unix password sync = Yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n

   pam password change = yes

   obey pam restrictions = yes

# if you enable domain logons then you may want a per-machine or
# per user logon script
# run a specific logon batch file per workstation (machine)
;   logon script = %m.bat
# run a specific logon batch file per username
;   logon script = %U.bat

; where is a user's home directory and where should it
; be mounted at?
    logon drive = H:
    logon home = \\%L\%u

# Where to store roving profiles (only for Win95 and WinNT)
#        %L substitutes for this servers netbios name, %U is username
#        You must uncomment the [Profiles] share below
   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U

   time server = true

#        delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel %u
#        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M %u

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no