[Samba] Newbie question

Konkol, Josh JKonkol at guidemail.com
Thu May 16 05:34:02 GMT 2002

Rob,

The reason you can see the shares is because security=share doesn't do any
authentication until you try to access a share.

I can see you're using encrypted passwords, so you need to make sure that
the username exists as a Linux user and has an entry in the smbpasswd file.

I personally had alot of problems getting security=share to work.  I think
the hardest thing to figure out is what username it's going to use.  If you
check out the smb.conf.5.htm you will see what steps samba uses to determine
what username to use.

HTH

Josh Konkol, CNE MCSE
Senior Network Analyst