[Samba] RPC error trying to access server

Jordi Vidal jordivi at wtransnet.net
Thu May 16 01:34:06 GMT 2002

Hi

I have a strange problem with a samba server,

When I use "smbclient -L myserver" the shares gets listed ok.

When I click on the server icon in a windows explorer box or type
"\\myserver" I get an "RPC error ocurred" and I can not open the shares
list. Same with "\\192.168.xx.xx"

If I type "\\myserver\shared_dir" works fine in the windows box.

I have others samba servers that just works fine with the same smb.conf

I think this is not an authentication problem since I use
security=share; guest=root

This is the global section in smb.conf:
[global]
        netbios name = SERVIDOR
        netbios aliases = MOTOR_DB
        workgroup = SERVIDORES
        server string = Samba_SERVIDOR - Servidor de Ficheros
        guest account = root
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        security = share
        os level = 2
        dns proxy = no
        character set = ISO8859-1
        client code page = 850

Hints:
I captured packets to a "fine_working" server and to this one, differences
I see is that in the first one the client negotiates a session:

(First packet, type negprot)
NBT Session Request
Flags=0x81000044
Destination=JORDIVI         NameType=0x20 (Server)
Source=AMARTINEZ       NameType=0x00 (Workstation)
[...]

(List of packets)
SMB PACKET: SMBnegprot (REQUEST)
SMB PACKET: SMBnegprot (REPLY)
SMB PACKET: SMBsesssetupX (REQUEST)
SMB PACKET: SMBtconX (REQUEST) (CHAINED)
SMB PACKET: SMBsesssetupX (REPLY)
SMB PACKET: SMBtconX (REPLY) (CHAINED)
SMB PACKET: SMBunknown (REQUEST)
SMB PACKET: SMBunknown (REPLY)
SMB PACKET: SMBtrans (REQUEST)
[...]

In the "offending" one, the 2 first packets (negprot / Session
Request) dont appear:

SMB PACKET: SMBsesssetupX (REQUEST)
SMB PACKET: SMBtconX (REQUEST) (CHAINED)
SMB PACKET: SMBsesssetupX (REPLY)
SMB PACKET: SMBtconX (REPLY) (CHAINED)
SMB PACKET: SMBunknown (REQUEST)
SMB PACKET: SMBunknown (REPLY)
SMB PACKET: SMBtrans (REQUEST)
SMB PACKET: SMBtrans (REPLY)
SMB PACKET: SMBtrans (REQUEST)
[...]

I have also observed that when I click in this workgroup (SERVIDORES) it
waits some seconds to open the servers list. With others workgroups the
window is openen much faster.

Any ideas? clients are Windows2000, samba is 2.0.6-9

Thanks
Jordi