[Samba] Linux server, Win2k client: Almost works, what am I missing?

Kris Kelley skunk at simdesk.com
Wed May 15 17:39:02 GMT 2002

Hello all.

A couple of days back I posted a question about how I could get a Win2K
client to mount a share from my linux Samba server.  I was getting the
familiar "account is not authorized to log in from this station" error
on the Win2K box, despite a set-up that supposedly allowed guest logins
*and* implemented the registry hack for clear-text passwords on the
Win2k box.

While I didn't find a direct solution, Herb Lewis in particular was very
helpful in offering suggestions.  I decided to abandon the RPM approach
and install from the source package instead, if only to have better
control over what extra features were enabled (bye-bye, PAM!).

I've made some progress since then.  I am certain that the stumbling
block I'm facing now is a real stupid one, but I'm brain-dead on finding
the solution.

My set up:  Red Hat Linux 7.1 (kernel 2.4.9) running Samba 2.2.4.  I
compiled and installed using all the defaults, with one exception:  I
enabled the smbmount feature.

My configuration is pretty basic at the moment.  This is my smb.conf
file:

   [global]
      workgroup = DEVGROUP
      security = user
      netbios name = skunkworx
   [test]
      comment = test share
      path = /export/samba/test
      read only = no
      guest ok = yes

/export/samba/test does exist, and has 777 permissions.

At first, this is the only configuration of any kind that I did; I
didn't even use smbpasswd to set up any Samba-specific user passwords.

Once I fired up Samba, I tried to access it from a Win2k box, on which
I'm logged in as DEVGROUP/skunk (user "skunk" also exists on the linux
box, and the passwords are the same in both environments).  This failed
with the usual "account is not authorized to log in from this station"
error (clear text passwords are enabled on the Win2K box), and I only
saw this in Samba's logs (level 2):

   [2002/05/15 19:17:57, 2] smbd/reply.c:reply_special(91)
     netbios connect: name1=SKUNKWORX        name2=WIN2KBOX
   [2002/05/15 19:17:57, 2] smbd/reply.c:reply_special(110)
     netbios connect: local=skunkworx remote=nfstest

However, when I used the "net use" CLI command to log in with user
"nobody", supplying "nobody"'s password, it worked!  The share was
successfully mounted, and I saw these entries in the Samba log:

   [2002/05/15 19:18:29, 2] smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(973)
     Defaulting to Lanman password for nobody
   [2002/05/15 19:18:29, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection(651)
     nfstest (172.16.4.100) connect to service test as user nobody
       (uid=99, gid=99) (pid 15247)

I then tried putting "skunk" into Samba's user database using this
command:

   smbpasswd -a skunk <skunk's password>

I still couldn't access the share as user "skunk", though; I got the
same error message on the Win2K side and the same Samba log entries on
the linux side.

I should note that when I use smbclient, I can access the test share
just fine as user "skunk" on the linux box.

So, what obvious thing am I missing?  What allows user "nobody" to
access the share from a Win2k box, but then denies all other users?
There is no Win2k user "nobody" within the DEVGROUP domain, if that
provides any clue.

Please let me know if more information is needed.  Any and all help is
greatly appreciated!

---Kris Kelley