[Samba] connections always mapped to guest

THIBADEAU,DAN (HP-Roseville,ex1) dan_thibadeau at hp.com
Wed May 15 16:53:02 GMT 2002

I have setup Samba 2.2.4 on HPUX 11.0.  I'm using it only as a print server.
It appears that ALL connections are being mapped to "pcguest" regardless
whether they are valid or not.  I do not have a "username map" defined,
"guest ok = yes" is set for my printer share.  I am running winbindd, which
seems to be working correctly.  I ran the following command 5 times,
changing the "map to guest" parameter, and typing my password correctly and
incorrectly.  Here are my results:

> smbclient '\\BOITEST\PR1234' -U dan_thibadeau -W palo-alto

1) set:  map to guest = Never
         typed correct password

   result:  smbstatus shows "uid" is "pcguest"
		connection was made, and I got prompt (typed "exit")

2) set:  map to guest = Never
         typed WRONG password

   result:  session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

3) set: map to guest = Bad User
        typed correct password

   result:  session setup failed: SUCCESS - 0

4) set: made no changes, just repeated test 3

   result:  smbstatus shows "uid" is "pcguest"
            connection was made, and I got a prompt (typed "exit")

5) set: map to guest = Bad User
        typed WRONG password

   result:  smbstatus shows "uid" is "pcguest"
            connection was made, and I got a prompt (typed "exit")

My concerns are:

1) Why are all connections being mapped to "pcguest"?

2) Why did I get a session failure of "SUCCESS - 0" on test 3?

3) Why did test 5 connect when I typed the wrong password?

I have debug level 3 logs of each test and my smb.conf if requested.

Dan Thibadeau