[Samba] tdb_oob len 1111638618 beyond eof at 8192 in secrets.tbd

David Rumohr drumohr at altair.com
Wed May 15 16:18:03 GMT 2002

Hello,
 I don't know if this is the correct channel to ask questions about samba configuration errors so I apologize if it is not. I recently installed samba 2.2.2 on an IRIX 5.3 machine and everytime I run the command

smbpasswd -j <DOMAIN>

I receive the error:

tdb(/usr/local/samba/private/secrets.tdb): tdb_oob len 1111638618 beyond eof at 8192
Unable to write the machine account password for machine <Server NetBIOS name>  in domain <DOMAIN>.

I've also recieved similar "tdb_oob len....beyond eof at ..." errors in other tdb files when I perform normal configuration commands and these error always show up in my log.smbd, log.nmbd, and log.<machine> files. I have searched the FAQ site for samba extensively as well as the rest of the internet and even though I did find some people with similar problems there didn't seem to be any specific solution. Any information you can provide as to the possible problem/solution would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

David Rumohr