[Samba] Samba Tuning

Adam Cormany acormany at yahoo.com
Wed May 15 13:36:01 GMT 2002

I've been searching all over online, including man
pages and anything else I could get a hold of. I am
trying to tune my Samba to perform better. Here's the
story: I have tested some software, running the server
on Windows 2000 server and my PC as the client(Windows
2000). The results is Windows+Windows ran around 3
seconds. Then on the 'exact' same box I loaded Redhat
7.3 and compiled/installed Samba 2.2.4. I used Redhat
as the server and my PC again as the client. The
results was around 6 seconds...

I've tried tuning through SWAT, but I'm not gaining
any performance. Please tell me there is a way for
Samba to be as faster or faster as Windows 2000
instead of being twice as slow...

The test was run on a dual processor 200MHZ, 256MB
RAM, 10/100 NIC card(only running at 10 though to my
PC).

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Adam Cormany
acormany at yahoo.com