[Samba] Win2k Printing Problems

JUSTIN GERRY JGERRY at butchers.com
Wed May 15 10:40:02 GMT 2002

No my ports are:

servername (ip address in my case as I am going across a router)
print server (actual printcap name)

When I add a printer to a Win2k box, in the registry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers

I get a printer name, within the printer name there is a key called
"Port", this key gets assigned to:

\\servername\printer_queue

Win2k does not create a printer queue under any of the "Monitors"
section therefore it can locally spool anything.

The port name is invalid!!

It NEEDS to add a printer queue (or perhaps a the proper term is a
"pointer" to a printer queue) under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

It just looks like Win2k is unable to handle creating the queue under
lpr section (or any other folder in monitors) when you automatically add
a printer from a Samba box. The /s prevent this somehow. I know that if
I export a reg file from the monitors section and try to change it to
get the slashes to appear correctly on how the port name is listed and
try to import it, the registry key does not get imported properly.

In order for me to print from my Win2k box:

1) I need to manually create the port with Win2k by adding a printer to
the local machine and then selecting "create new port" of the lpr type,
it is here that I enter the servername and printer_queue name. Once this
is added I have to change the "port" settings under the "Printers"
section (listed above) to servername:printer_queue instead of
\\servername\printer_queue

It works, but I know it is complete bandaid fix. I would like to know
if there is some way to get the real windows port of some sort to be
created. I am curious if the enumports command could help me in some way
by listing some artifical ports (perhaps of the same name as the real
queue on the linux box) and maybe the Win2k will pick this up somehow on
an install.

-Justin

>>> "Van Sickler, Jim" <vansickj-eodc at Kaman.com> 05/15 12:04 PM >>>
Justin,

Did you use the IP address of the printer as the lpr port?

If so, you're bypassing samba and printing
directly to the printer.

I'm not sure where the /'s are located.  The MS
doc mentions the LPD queue name;  if yours has
/ in it somewhere, try renaming it so that it
doesn't and see if the error message goes away.

Jim