[Samba] Windows 2000 Passwords

Don Werder (dwerder) djw at science.lucent.com
Tue May 14 14:06:02 GMT 2002

I have one workgroup with a Sun running Samba 2.2.0 on Solaris as the PDC
and another workgroup running Samba 2.2.3a on Red Hat Linux 7.2 as
the PDC for this workgroup. I want some machines at the Sun workgroup to
have access to shares on the Linux workgroup. I have created logons and
passwords for users from the Sun workgroup on the Linux machine. The logon
names are the same for Linux and Samba but the passwords are different than
the Sun workgroup. When a Windows 2000 computer in the Sun workgroup tries
to access a share on the Linux Samba workgroup the following error message
comes up:
  Incorrect password or unknown user name for:

Why is this? Does Win2K require the password on the local Win2K
machine to be the same as on the Samba server?

Don Werder
dwerder at lucent.com