[Samba] Samba 3.0 pre 17, character set

grobe at gmx.net grobe at gmx.net
Tue May 14 13:12:02 GMT 2002

Hi!

I have searched the net, but I finally didn't find an answer. I have a Samba
TNG installation here, with some problems, and I would really like to
replace it with 3.0 now (2.2 is missing some important functionality I need, so I
would like to try the "unstable" 3.0).

I compiled and installed, it works fine as pdc, but I don't get some
national special characters (German umlauts in my case). I found some hints about
the undocumented dos / unix / display charsets, but NOWHERE anything explaining
these new keywords in smb.conf. I have iconv installed, and I assume that on
the Linux-side, 8859-1 has been used so far (is there a way to determine
this???).

What do I need if I have ISO_8859-1 on the Windows 2000 clients as well? Do
I need all three parameters? And there is some strange behaviour, when I
tried the charset-parameters, I could use the dos charset parameter, but if I set
the unix charset parameter, I get a "no interfaces found" error (with or w/o
bind interfaces only).

So, it would be great to get some hints about this changed functionality in
the 3.0-Samba-line. Thanks in advance, CU,

Lars O. Grobe.

http://www.gmx.net