[Samba] Samba 3.0 and ETA?

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Tue May 14 07:27:02 GMT 2002

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Kugs wrote:

> After reading the scattered documentation and FAQs, it appears that a
> current release 2.2.4 Samba server can not be a BDC.  Furthermore, it

Correct.  It cannot be a BDC and interoperate with a Windows NT PDC.

> appears that the Samba PDC does not implement enough of a true Windows
> PDC to replace a Windows NT PDC as relates to NT client/server security
> needs.
>
> Will 3.0 Samba servers be a drop in replacement for Windows NT domain
> servers or can this not be expected since MS doesn't release the specs
> of the necessary APIs etc.?

We are working on it as hard as we can given available resources.

> What's the prognosis and what's the ETA on Samba 3.0?

No ETA on Samba 3.0.  We are trying to close of the 2.2
branch (except for bugs fixes).  There will be a 2.2.5
release for certain.  Beyond that we will have to see,
but these are planned to just be bug fixes.  The goal is
to focus on Samba 3.0 from this point on.

cheers, jerry