[Samba] Can't access a linux server using a Win2K client

Brad Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Mon May 13 19:34:03 GMT 2002

Kris Kelley wrote:

>Hello all.  I am new to Samba, so forgive me if this is a stupid
>question, but I have been unable to figure this out.
>
>I have a Red Hat 7.1 box (kernel 2.4.9) with the Samba 2.2.4-2 RPM
>installed.  I am trying to configure it so that Windows 2000 machines
>within my company's Windows domain can access it.  Before diving into
>anything exotic, I am trying to get this to work without requiring any
>kind of authentication.  So, this is my smb.conf file:
>
>   [global]
>      workgroup = DEVGROUP
>      security = share
>      netbios name = skunkworx
>   [test]
>      comment = test share
>      path = /export/samba/test
>      read only = no
>      guest only = yes
>      guest account = nobody

i wish i could give you some clearer help  but i've not done this myself

i suggest you take a look in the log files
after adding
log level = 2
to your global section
/var/log/samba/log.smbd

another thing to try is to up your sambabox in a different workgroup (ie
devgroup2)

if you don't know what to make of the results of your log file post them
here.

brad