[Samba] Samba + Windos XP/2k + Netbench Problem

Dieter Stampfer dieter.stampfer at univie.ac.at
Mon May 13 16:11:03 GMT 2002

	Herb,

fist off, thanks for your reply. I was perfectly ready to attribute the
problem to Netbench until I found that 'nt smb support = no' fixes it
for us. We've run 6 clients with 8 engines each successfully quite often
since. Clean directory structure or old files present, no more engine
failures.

Did you try with 'nt smb support = no' ? Not a single engine should die
or there's some contributing factor we're unaware of. Unless Netbench is
complete crap, I don't like the idea that more engines die with Samba
than with Win2k, even in your test.

We have these servers to test with:
Win2K       - 2P 1GHz PIII
Netware 6   - 2P 800 MHz PIII
NT4.0       - 1P 1,266 GHz PIII-S
Samba 2.2.4 - 1P 1,266 GHz PIII-S

NT4 is not an option for us but we've had similar results, i.e. all but
2 or 3 engines died. It's too early to claim that Samba beats all others
but it certainly looks a lot like it.

If you can get around to test with 'nt smb support = no' I'd be quite
interested in what you find. I guess 'nt smb support = no' is safe in
terms of keeping all other functionality the same?

We'll try again with Win2k to see if we can duplicate your results there.

	Thanks,
		Dieter