[Samba] Samba 2.2.4 with Win 2k

David Sims dpsims at virtualdave.com
Mon May 13 08:43:03 GMT 2002

Hi,

  I want to implement a small network using Win 2k and Samba... I only
want to create a Windows 'workgroup' and to use user level security with
plaintext passwords... Just trying to keep things very simple....

  I have implemented Samba 2.2.4 on Slackware Linux 7.1 .... Using a
minimal smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = bentley
netbios name = blackie
server string = This is Linux/Samba - Not Windows NT
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes
os level = 50

printing = bsd
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes

socket options = TCP_NODELAY

Once I have modified the Win 2k registry to allow the use of plaintext
passwords this seems to allow the Win 2k machines to see the Samba server
in 'Computers Near Me' but not in 'Entire Network'.... Also, there seems
to be a problem with using 'smbclient -L <win2kbox> -N' which returns the
error:

dpsims at blackie:/etc$ smbclient -L douglass -N
added interface ip=192.168.1.250 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[BENTLEY] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

        Server               Comment

        Workgroup            Master

Is there some document which addresses this behavior?? I have searched far
and wide with no joy.... Lots of conversation about this error when using
'security = domain' but none when using 'security = user' (the default)...
Any clues or pointers to solving this problem would be welcome.... It
should be possible to have a non-domain environment shouldn't it??

Regards,

Dave Sims