[Samba] Re: Problem with samba 2.2.4 and Mandrake 8.2

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Mon May 13 04:47:02 GMT 2002

| Message: 12
| Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 14:15:39 -0300
| To: "samba" <samba at lists.samba.org>
| Subject: [Samba] Problem with samba 2.2.4 and Mandrake 8.2
|
| Hello all,
|
| I updated my mandrake 8.2 samba from version 2.2.3a to 2.2.4, using
mandrake cooker package, but after the update my
| win98 clients can not logon on the server any more, the clients can't
even find the pdc, because i get a big time from
| the time that the user type his username and pass, and the logon error
message. So is this a problem with mandrake's
| package or the logon procedure (smbpasswd file) has changed from this
versions?? Do i have to change something in
| smb.conf??? My other problem is that i still get errors when mounting
windows directories on mandrake 8.2, someone told
| me this was a problem with 2.4.18 kernel, is it right?? The new kernel
from cooker (2.4.18.14mdk) correct this
| problem?? Tanks very much in advance for the help...

Please, if you are going to run cooker packages, first query the cooker
list. (For example, I am subscribed to cooker, but only get this list in
digest). You could also send email to the packager of the rpm (if you do
'rpm -qi samba'), or someone who appears in the changelogs (like me)
which you can see with 'rpm -q --changelog samba'. This information is
also easy-to-find from the Software Manager.

The (unofficial) Mandrake RPMs for 8.2, 8.1 and 8.0 are available on the
samba mirrors and other places. These are the packages you should be
running if you want to run 2.2.4, and have no known issues. RPMs were
announced on the samba-binaries list the day after the release of 2.2.4.

If you aren't involved in cooker, you should not use cooker packages,
unless you have rebuilt them on your own machine (at the moment cooker
is running with a different gcc and a different libc from the one on
8.2). Running cooker packages on a production machine (without
rebuilding them) is NEVER a good idea.

Btw, rebuilding on 8.2 (or cooker with the -2mdk RPMs) does not require
the "--without ldap" option, since we do auto-detection of your distro,
and by mistake only the cooker build had ldap enabled by default in -1mdk.

For smbmount issues, you would probably be best served by running the
proposed kernel update for 8.2 at
http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~quintela . This fixes the smbfs oops,
and should fix a few other issues. A kernel update is apparently in the
works.

We specifically package samba as soon after release for all the recent
versions of Mandrake to avoid problems like this. Please, rather ask
around on mailing lists, or check the appropriate places before you run
a cooker package and then mail the samba list with cooker-related problems.

Buchan

P.S. See also http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba
- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202