[Samba] lib/debug.c:reopen_logs(349)

Per Kjetil Grotnes perkjetil.grotnes at pbe.oslo.kommune.no
Mon May 13 04:23:02 GMT 2002

Windows 2000 sp2 with Terminal Services and Citrix 1.8 Metaframe as 'client'.

---
Problem starts at 40 to 50 users logged on.  7-9 shares mapped at login.  Effect is
'access denied' on accessing directories restricted by group access even though
user has valid unix /etc/group access.
---

Machine SunFire 880
Samba 2.2.4
Configured with "-without-winbind"
Solaris 8  (release july 2001)
Gcc 3.0.1 from the companion package
Veritas Filesystem

Precompile adjustments done due to W2Ks 'feature' of just making one connection
to the samba server thus making only one process per Terminal Server.

Smbd/conn.c: #define MAX_CONNECTIONS 128
Smbd/conn.c: #define MAX_CONNECTIONS 768

#> plimit 17155
17155:  /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
  resource              current         maximum
  time(seconds)         unlimited       unlimited
  file(blocks)          unlimited       unlimited
  data(kbytes)          unlimited       unlimited
  stack(kbytes)         8192            unlimited
  coredump(blocks)      unlimited       unlimited
  nofiles(descriptors)  10010           10010
  vmemory(kbytes)       unlimited       unlimited

/etc/system
rlim_fd_max = 4096
rlim_fd_cur = 2048

Log entries possibly related to this problem(?):

When we are in the period when the errors occurs and a user logs in we get this in
the log:
Æ2002/05/08 11:30:03, 0Å lib/debug.c:reopen_logs(349)
  Unable to open new log file /usr/local/samba/var/log.smbd: Too many open files

In lib/debug.c
        if (append_log)
                new_dbf = sys_fopen( debugf, "a" );
        else
                new_dbf = sys_fopen( debugf, "w" );
        if (!new_dbf) æ
                log_overflow = True;
DEBUG(0, ("Unable to open new log file %s: %sØn", debugf, strerror(errno)));
                log_overflow = False;

Which means that sys_fopen fails.  I cant fnd any documentation on sys_fopen.

When users try to access shares where they would need their group-access rights
to get in there is a 'access denied' message.  In the log (log level 3) it shows:

Æ2002/05/13 12:52:49, 3Å smbd/sec_ctx.c:set_sec_ctx(319)
  1 user groups:
  661

This is wrong!  There should be at least 10 group Ids in the list for that user.  The
group the user need to enter the directory is not in the list somehow!

Note that this error happens only with shares connected with the W2K TS
machine and then only after a certain amount of users have logged on.

Typically some sort of limit has been reached.. but which?

Our migration to W2K depends on this! *grins*

Regards
Per Kjetil Grotnes

---
IT-Seksjonen, Plan- og bygningsetaten, Oslo Kommune
Tlf: 22 66 26 61, Fax: 22 66 26 65