[Samba] Problem with & in domain name.

a.beattie at maxfordham.com a.beattie at maxfordham.com
Mon May 13 03:57:02 GMT 2002

Hi,

I'm using Samba 2.2.4 and I'm trying to connect via domain level security,
but I'm having problems which I think are due to the fact that the NT
domain contains an ampersand. (I know this is bad, but I inherited it...)

I can add the samba server to the domain with the command:

smbpasswd  -j  MFP\&MFA  -r  NTSERVER  -Uadministrator

(backslash escapes the & in this command)

and I get the message:

Joined domain MFP&MFA

However, when I try to connect to the Samba server from a PC I get the
password box, and these message in the logs:

[2002/05/13 11:26:02, 0] smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1604)
domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user a.beattie in
domain MFP_MFA to Domain controller NTSERVER. Error was
NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER.

[2002/05/13 11:26:05, 0]
rpc_client/cli_netlogon.c:cli_net_sam_logon_internal(406)cli_net_sam_logon_internal:

NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

The domain name in the log has an underscore substituted for the ampersand.

Is this a known issue, or does anyone know of a workaround?

Thanks in advance,

Asa

Max Fordham LLP
42/43 Gloucester Crescent, London NW1 7PE
Tel:  020 7267 5161
Fax:  020 7482 0329
http://www.maxfordham.com/

A list of partners is available on request