[Samba] Re: Linux, Samba, and the Lexmark z53

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Sat May 11 16:30:04 GMT 2002

I made some comments. Maybe the solution is easy.

> ##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL
> lexmarkz53:\  <---THIS AND LP BELOW SEEM TO BE DUPLICATES.
>      :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lexmarkz53:\
>      :mx#0:\
>      :sh:\
>      :lp=/dev/lp0:\
>      :if=/usr/local/lexmark/z53/z53.sh:
>
> ##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL
> z53-outfiles:\  <----THIS IS THE RAW SPOOL YOU'LL WANT YOUR WINDOWS CLIENTS TO USE
>      :sd=/var/spool/lpd/z53-outfiles:\
>      :mx#0:\
>      :sh:\
>      :lp=/dev/lp0:
>
> ##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL
> lp:\
>      :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>      :mx#0:\
>      :sh:\
>      :lp=/dev/lp0:\
>      :if=/usr/local/lexmark/z53/z53.sh:
>

> # It should not be necessary to spell out the print system type unless
> # yours is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
> # bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx
>    printing = lprng <--WHICH IS IT? DO YOU HAVE LPRNG INSTALLED?
> ;   printing = bsd
>
> [lex]
>   comment = Raw Printer for Z53
>   path = /tmp
>   create mask = 0700
>   guest ok = Yes
>   hosts allow = 192.168.
>   printable = Yes
>   printing = lprng
>   print command = echo "Tried to print %s" > /tmp/junk.%s
> #  print command = /usr/bin/lpr -Plp %s; rm %s <---THIS IS IT, I THINK SEE NOTE BELOW
>   lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -Plp >   lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Plp %j
>   lppause command = /usr/bin/lpc hold lp %j
>   lpresume command = /usr/bin/lpc release lp %j
>   printer name = lp
>   printer driver = Lexmark Z53 Series ColorFine
>   printer driver location = \\VALOR\public\Adrian\Drivers Etc\lxkz53
>   share modes = No

****Note: IF you use lex as the printer for your windows clients, you are
sending the jobs to a queue which will try to reformat them again. The
lexmark filter assumes all input is either postscript, pdf, or plain text,
as you recall from the article I sent you.
So, lex is putting those "garbage files" (actually, they should be the
binary files for your printer if your windows clients are properly
configured) through enscript. Not a good thing.
So, I would:
Test my theory. cat one of those garbage files in /tmp/junk to /dev/lp0. It should print
OK. (might) I haven't tried this myself.
To solve the problem, either change lp to z53-outfiles OR select a
postscript driver on your windows side (HP laserjetthree plus or whatever
works for me.)
Other games to play would be to use a postscript driver on your windows
side, and then see if you can read them with gv after they land in /tmp.
BTW, I tried to store my lexmark drivers on the server, but every time I
downloaded the drivers it damaged some system windows file and windows
wouldn't boot after that.
Joel