[Samba] smbpasswd for normal user

Hok Chun So sohc at netvigator.com
Sat May 11 07:57:01 GMT 2002

Dear all,

I have set up file sharing for users' directories on a RH7.2 linux
server.  I am running Samba 2.2.1a

I configured all Linux users who have the right to use Samba to belong
to "smbuser" group.

However, user can't change their password using smbpasswd command.  Only
root user can change the password for user.

When user tries to change password using smbpasswd, the following error
is shown:
machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the tconX on the IPC$ share. Error was :
ERRSRV - ERRbadpw.

Did you encounter similar problem before? Can u help me to fix the
problem?

My smb.conf is attached below.

Thanks for your help
Bill

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2002/04/30 12:52:36

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = ZHK08WKG